Instructional Design Workshop
Interactive Instructional Design Workshop, Toronto, Dubai, Jamaica, Singapore
- We are a Toronto (Canada) based consulting firm specialzing in training and development and instructional design.
- ALL inquiries are handled from Toronto.
Do you need to:
- transform existing live training and e-learning programmes from mundane to marvellous?
- improve techinical training to make it more user-friendly?
- prepare subject matter experts to deliver training more effectively?
- improve the training and development sessions you offer for clients (as a supplier)?
Instructional designers and subject matter experts are often asked to design training within very tight timeframes. Time pressure, short lead times and compressed instructional design cycles will only intensify as economic turbulence continues.
For this reason live training often ends up consisting of sessions crammed with content and delivered through boring presentation. E-learning, ends up being nothing more than a glorified and tedious page turner.
How we can Help
This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to design and develop interactive and engaging training and development programmes that address real business and organizational (non-profit, educational) needs. The approach is hands-on and practical rather than theoretical or traditional. The programme will model and give expose participants to non-traditional instructional methods (e.g. simulations, games, group exercises, projects).
After completing this highly interactive workshop participants will be able to
- understand and apply the design and development process
- uncover business needs
- establish performance objectives and measures
- design and use training templates to reduce development time
- prepare and use training design blueprints to develop interactive training material
- select and instructional methods that are compatible with participant learning styles
- identify and use alternatives to passive instructional methods (e.g. lectures and presentations)
- incorporate themes, session starters, and energizers into training to facilitate learning and keep participants engaged
- add punch and pizzazz to training
- measure and demonstrate the impact of training on the business (or organization)
Participants will be asked to bring laptops, resources, information and files they need to execute this project.
Suggested Pre-requistes: Strong working knowledge of MS PowerPoint and MS Word
Who We've Helped
We have offered train the trainer progammes around the world. Some of the companies that have benefited from our programmes include Bell Mobility, TELUS Mobility, National Bank of Dominica, and OISIE.
We offer train the trainer workshops, courses, and coaching to companies all over the world.
Anne has tremendous expertise as a team building specialist and presentation skills coach. I hired Anne to train our in-house trainers in the delivery of training programmes. It was an excellent investment. Not only did she connect with the group immediately, but she also had them fully engaged to the very end. I also personally benefited by sitting through a few of her sessions. I would certainly hire Anne again.Phillip Brown, Director, Director, Human Resources & Administration at Caribbean Development Bank
... by far the most practical course I have ever taken.Gary Tune, Director, Product Logistics, Marketing
Bell Mobility (Toronto, Ontario, Canada)
Great way to build teamwork skills. Accountability was a big part of the lesssons learned. Enhthusiastic and professional facilitators.Benjamin Lee, Global Middle Office CIBC
Well developed and well executed!"David Peneycad, Chief Administrative Officer, Grant Thornton
I found the course very informative. I improved my interviewing skills tremendously by applying the techniques I learned.Patricia Wong, Assistant Manager, HR OCBC Bank (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
The emphasis on practicing the skills learnt, though at times painful, was very useful. Ultimately I was left with a feeling of having done a good beginning....Anne has an excellent grasp of the subject. The expert in her really commanded my respect.M B Sakorkar, LTITL (India)
Group Size: 6 - 24 participants
If a group has more than 8 participants, projects will be completed in pairs or trios.
Time Frame: Available as 2 or 3 day interactive workshop.
Participants will have the opportunity to:
- jumpstart the design for a real training and development programme that you need to develop in the near future
- re-design a programme that you have developed in the past
- transform technical content or information about a process into learning
Please note this is an interactive workshop and NOT case-driven, traditional learning. This workshop involves hands-on work in small project teams.
This workshop requires evening assignments. If your corporate culture will not support this or participants will be resistant, the minimum timeframe for this programme is 3 days. Participants may also need an additional 1/2 day before the final day of the programme to complete their projects. This can be accompanies by coaching and feedback.
Click Panels to Open & View Details
To achieve this objective, we have a number of self-study module to cover the teory behind adult learning and accelerated learning. This will free us up to devote most of the time during our workshops to skill drills, exercises, practice, and coaching.
Depending on your requriements, interactive self-study modules can include:
- Developing Winning Presentations
- Everything you Wanted to Know About Visual Aids but were Afraid to Ask
- Illustrations with Ease
- Identify the real client and get buy-in.
- Identify and get buy-in from key stakeholders.
- Design effective training within tight timeframes.
- Avoid re-work by getting sign-offs and approvals at appropriate stages of the project.
- Shorten design time through the use of training templates, detailed agendas, and training blueprints.
- Keep learners alert and engaged with accelerated learning.
- Minimize resistance by catering to diverse learning styles.
- Convey Complex Content in a User-Friendly Manner
- Take the Tedium Out of Technical Training
- Uncovering Business Needs
- Planning Design Projects
- Designing Training Templates
- Outlining Content
- Estimating Design Time
- The Design Process
- Developing Detailed Agendas
- Catering to Diverse Learning Styles
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Various Instructional Methods
- Selecting Instructional Methods
- Developing Training Blueprints
- The Development Process
- Developing Facilitatorsí Manuals
- Developing Participant Material
There will be some reading from the assigned textbooks in the evening. While time will be allocated to work on the team projects during the workshops, be prepared to put the finishing touches on any work that is not completed during the evening.
- Spicing up Your Training by Anne Thornley-Brown, MBA
- Training for Impact, How to Link Training to Business Needs and Measure the Measure the Results by Dana Gaines Robinson and James C. Robinson
- The Accelerated Learning Handbook by Dave Meir
Companies will be asked to provide:
- Lunch or $5 towards a pizza on Day 1
- A Cake or cupcakes for an exercise on Day 1
Participants will be asked to bring:
- USB Drives
Don't have enough participants for the training?
- Purchase our new e-book:
This 132 page e-book is jampacked with session starters, group exercises, games, brainstorming exercises, energizers, and more!
Interactive and highly experiential learning and development programmes for managers and professionals.
Featured Training & Development:
Interactive train the trainer programmes offering maximum practice and coaching. Master experiential learning and accelerated learning techniques.
Featured Train the Trainer Workshops:
We custom design or re-design courses to create highly interactive experiential learning programmes.
For companies on a budget, we can prepare a complete training blueprint and templates for participant workbooks, slides, and facilitator's manuals. We'll review your final product and provide feedback.